Whether through playing sports, working, jogging, or other activities, accidents can, and do, happen. Many dental emergencies require immediate attention for an optimal outcome. If you have had an injury to the mouth, jaw, or teeth call (951) 739 7770 for emergency dentistry in Norco, Corona, Eastvale, Riverside, Fontana, Mira Loma and Chino Preserve. Dr. Ami Shah and associates at Absolute Dental Practice are available for emergency dental situations. They will strive to see you the same day, and if there is a reason that you cannot be seen immediately, they will make sure your issues are addressed.
If you are not certain whether a dental problem constitutes an emergency, the general advice is when there is pain it is an emergency. Even small injuries that may seem insignificant can damage the tissue inside the tooth. You can minimize the damage the consequences of a dental injury by taking appropriate action, such as:
- Knocked out tooth – Call your dentist, then, holding the tooth by the top, gently rinse in lukewarm water, being careful not to dislodge any tissue fragments. Try to reinsert the tooth, if that isn't possible, place it in a container of milk, and see your dentist as soon as possible.
- Broken jaw – Go to a hospital emergency room immediately.
- Partially dislodged tooth – Call your dentist, and apply a cold compress to the outside to minimize swelling. You can take a pain reliever such as Advil or Tylenol, but do not take aspirin because it can increase bleeding.
- Broken or chipped tooth – Call your dentist, rinse mouth with warm water, and place a cold compress to reduce swelling. An over-the-counter pain medication can be taken if needed.
- Soft tissue injury – Call your dentist, rinse mouth with a warm mild salt-water solution, and apply pressure to the wound with gauze to reduce bleeding.
It is recommended that you keep a dental first aid kit on hand to be prepared for dental injuries. It should contain the number of Absolute Dental, gauze squares, ice bag, small container with a lid, a topical anesthetic such as Orajel, and temporary filling material.
Call Absolute Dental at (951) 739 7770 if you have a dental emergency or other dental concerns. Dr. Shah and Associates offer a comprehensive array of preventive, restorative, and cosmetic services for your dental health and wellbeing.