Gum disease, also known as gingivitis, is an infection that causes swelling in the gums. The word, ‘gingivitis’, actually means ‘gum inflammation’. Gum disease is a category of a broader set of periodontal diseases, but it is one of the most commonly seen in the dentist’s office – even more often than cavities.
What causes gum disease?
There are several causes of gum disease, these include:
- Poor dental hygiene (failure to brush or floss the teeth and gums)
- Pregnancy (hormones from the pregnancy can cause the gums to swell and bleed)
- Uncontrolled diabetes (getting and maintaining control of diabetes is best for oral and overall physical health)
- Systemic infections (infections that have spread throughout the body)
- Misaligned teeth (jagged areas and large gaps between the teeth and gums can allow bacteria to grow)
While gum disease can present itself through several signs and symptoms, few actually know that what they are experiencing can become a serious condition. If you are experiencing the symptoms of gum disease, it is best to see a dental professional as soon as possible.
The signs and symptoms of gum disease include the following:
- Swollen gums
- Bleeding gums
- Red or purple or shiny gums
- Tender gums
If you are experiencing the symptoms of gum disease, it is best to see a dental professional right away.
Treatment and Prevention
The treatment for gum disease is simple, deep cleaning under the gum line and an oral wash to help kill the bacteria causing the inflammation. Gum disease can be controlled with daily brushing and flossing, and regular visits to the dentist.
Dr. Ami Shah has spent more than 15 years gaining the skills and knowledge necessary to treat, and help her patients prevent, gum disease. While good oral health is an excellent way to prevent the occurrence of gum disease, taking the time to schedule and keep twice-yearly dental visits can heighten preventative measures against the disease. To learn more about gum disease, contact Dr. Shah and her excellent dental staff. The team at Absolute Dental makes it their mission to keep your mouth healthy, your smile bright, and your gums free from disease.